Police surrounded flats in east London when a man barricaded himself in and threatened to blow up the block.
Nearby residents in Barking were forced to leave their homes after the man also threatened to burn down the building.
Fire and ambulance crews were called to Elsdown House, Wheelers Cross, late on Tuesday, although there were no injuries reported.
A man was later detained and was given medical treatment by paramedics at the scene, the Met Police said.
Evacuated residents, who had been told to go to The Gascoigne Community Centre, in St Ann’s, were later told they could return home.
E-scooters and e-skateboards have been riding around many of the world’s city streets.
But while some countries have welcomed them, they are illegal to ride on public roads and pavements in the UK.
Some riders are now calling for regulation rather than an outright ban.
BBC Click finds out more.
Huddersfield sacked head coach Jan Siewert an hour after losing at home to Fulham, with Ivan Cavaleiro’s superb goal securing victory over the struggling Terriers.
Huddersfield remain winless this season and Siewert had been under growing pressure following Tuesday’s home Carabao Cup defeat by League One Lincoln City.
The visitors had the better of an even first half and took the lead after the break when Juninho Bacuna’s horribly miscued clearance proved to be the perfect cross for Aleksandar Mitrovic to head home.
Town levelled when Karlan Grant’s header from Flo Hadergjonaj’s centre just crossed the line despite the attempts of Fulham goalkeeper Marcus Bettinelli, but Cavaleiro won it with a wonderful curled finish from just inside the area.
Huddersfield, relegated from the Premier League alongside Fulham last season, have not won in any competition since February and have taken just one point from their first three games this season.
Grant’s header, awarded by the referee with the aid of goal line technology, had looked set to give them a second successive 1-1 draw.
But Wolves loanee Cavaleiro was afforded too much time after Town failed to deal with a looped Steven Sessegnon cross and the Portuguese forward showed his class to secure a second successive league win for Fulham.
Terriers goalkeeper Kamil Grabara had earlier made two good saves from Anthony Knockaert and the score would have been worse but for the performance of the Liverpool loanee.
Siewert said after Tuesday’s defeat by the Imps that he did not fear for his job, but his record stood at one win from his 19 matches when his departure was confirmed.
Huddersfield travel to fellow relegated side Cardiff on Wednesday, while Scott Parker’s side host Millwall on the same evening.
A teenager found dead in Malaysia after vanishing on a family holiday had not been abducted, police say.
Nora Quoirin’s body was found beside a stream about 1.6 miles (2.5km) from the jungle resort of Dusun on Tuesday.
She died from internal bleeding probably caused by hunger and stress, a post-mortem examination revealed.
Malaysian Police said there no suspicion the 15-year-old, who was discovered following a 10-day search, was the victim of foul play.
Nora died two or three days before she was found, the force believes.
She was described by her family as vulnerable having been born with holoprosencephaly, a disorder which affects brain development.
Her Irish-French parents, Meabh and Sebastian, previously said they didn’t believe she would have wandered off alone and feared she had been abducted.
Negeri Sembilan state police chief Mohamad Mat Yusop, said: “For the time being, there is no element of abduction or kidnapping.
“The cause of death was upper gastrointestinal bleeding due to duodenal ulcer, complicated with perforation.”
Further analysis would be carried out on samples taken from her body, he said, adding Nora’s family was now free to take her home.
Speaking after her body was found, Mr and Mrs Quoirin said their “hearts are broken” and paid tribute to their daughter as “the truest, most precious girl”.
They said Nora, who lived in London, had “truly touched the world” after her disappearance sparked a huge search operation and good wishes from across the globe.
A book of condolence was opened on Wednesday in Belfast, where Mrs Quoirin is from.
In a statement, the Dusun resort said it wanted to “extend support and assistance in whatever way possible to the Quoirins during these very difficult times”.
“We deeply regret that this has happened to the Quoirins during their stay here,” it said.
Nora Quoirin disappearance: Timeline
- 3 August: The Quoirins arrive at the Dusun forest eco-resort
- 4 August: Nora disappears from her room
- 5 August: The Lucie Blackman Trust says Malaysian police are treating Nora’s disappearance as a potential abduction, but officers deny any foul play is involved
- 6 August: Nora’s family say they believe she has been abducted
- 11 August: Malaysian police set up a hotline dedicated to receiving information about teenager
- 12 August: A reward of £10,000 – donated by an anonymous Belfast business – is made available for information leading to Nora’s safe return
- 13 August: A body is found in the search for Nora
A 16-year-old boy has been stabbed to death in north-west London.
Police officers and the London Ambulance Service were called to Munster Square in Camden at about 23:10 BST on Monday.
Scotland Yard said the victim was pronounced dead at the scene and no arrests have been made.
A murder investigation has been launched and a crime scene remains in place. The Met has urged witnesses to come forward.
A large police cordon stretching across a number of roads was in place on Tuesday morning.
Ola Ince is a south Londoner who is taking London’s theatre scene by storm.
The 30-year-old has directed a host of shows in the West End including Tina the Musical.
She is also not afraid to tackle controversial subjects that ask questions about race and gender.
Ms Ince addresses these issues in her latest project at the Donmar Warehouse.
A man has been charged with attempted murder and possessing an offensive weapon after a police officer was stabbed in the head in east London.
The PC was attacked as he tried to stop a van in Leyton early on Thursday. He managed to Taser his assailant while being stabbed in the head and body.
He suffered multiple injuries but the Met Police says he will recover.
Muhammed Rodwan, 56, from Luton, is due to appear at Thames Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
Two uniformed officers tried to stop the van at the junction of Coopers Lane and Leyton High Road, the Met said.
The injured PC, 28, is a patrol officer who has been with the force for about 10 years.
Speaking earlier, Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the attack “underscores for me the bravery of our police, people who actually go towards danger to keep us safer”.
Unregulated accommodation for 16 and 17-year-olds may be subject to licensing and registration after claims children were being put at risk.
Children’s minister Nadhim Zahawi told BBC Newsnight he wanted to eliminate a “rogue element” in some 16+ supported and semi-supported accommodation.
His words follow calls to regulate these homes. Standard children’s homes are regulated by Ofsted.
But Mr Zahawi said full regulation would be a “knee-jerk reaction”.
He said full regulation of what Newsnight has termed “hidden children’s homes” could end up “throwing the baby out with the bathwater”.
But he added he was “looking at licensing and registering”.
The government is holding a roundtable meeting of care experts to discuss “best practice” later.
Meanwhile, Children’s Commissioner for England Anne Longfield has – for the first time publicly – called for regulation of this type of 16+ accommodation.
“This is a sector that needs to be regulated, ” she told Newsnight. “These are the most vulnerable teenagers.”
The number of teenagers sent to unregulated care homes outside their home borough has doubled since 2014 and data seen by Newsnight indicates they are set to rise further this year.
Missing children cases
Police have raised concerns to Newsnight about the number of teenagers reported missing from these homes – in one case a child had gone missing more than 100 times.
In the first of a series of special reports, Britain’s Hidden Children’s Homes, Newsnight learned that – according to figures from the Department for Education – about 5,000 looked-after children in England are in so-called 16+ supported or semi-supported accommodation.
This is a 70% rise in a decade.
This type of accommodation is not inspected or registered by Ofsted, even though residents are in the care of the state.
Because the teenagers are deemed to be receiving support, rather than care, the accommodation is not subject to the same checks and inspections as registered children’s homes.
Unregulated homes can often be simply a house on a residential street, with staff on site or visiting for as little as a few hours a week.
Bedfordshire Police is one of the forces that has called for greater regulation of these homes. It has given Newsnight access to film the impact that cases of missing children from care are having on the force.
Officers say many missing persons cases involve teenagers from unregulated homes. And of these, many teenagers have been re-housed from other areas of the country.
Newsnight has surveyed every local authority children’s services department in the UK to find out how many teenagers in care were being moved outside of their home area.
In 2018, more than 2,000 16 and 17-year-olds were placed out of borough in this kind of care, data for England from the Department for Education shows. Four years earlier, the figure was 1,020. New data Newsnight has seen suggests that the figure is still rising.
Oxfordshire, Windsor and Maidenhead, Peterborough, Swindon, Sandwell, Stockton on Tees and Cambridgeshire councils – as well as the London Boroughs of Enfield, Newham and Kensington and Chelsea – had all sent looked after children to unregulated homes in Bedfordshire.
This is information that Bedfordshire itself did not hold. Bedfordshire Police has shared with Newsnight examples of out of borough placements that have caused concern.
- A child from a local authority in the Midlands on bail for knife point robberies and sexual offences, placed in an unregulated home in Bedfordshire with young female residents
- A child in the care of a council in the south west placed in 16+ accommodation with a known drug dealer and street robber, after starting a fire in his previous placement
- Two children from rival London gangs placed together in an unregulated home. One boy ended up stabbing the other
DCI Steve Ashdown from Bedfordshire Police criticised the practice of placing teenagers in unregulated care homes, saying the “lack of scrutiny just exposes a significant amount of children to risk”.
The Association of Directors of Children’s Services (ADCS) said local authorities do “many things” – including unannounced checks and DBS checks – to monitor provision.
Bedfordshire is not the only hotspot for unregulated children’s homes. A survey by the BBC’s FOI researchers indicated that at least 14 councils – ranging from Manchester and Peterborough to Croydon and Ealing – are all home to more out of borough placements than Bedfordshire.
London rapper Unknown T, real name Daniel Lena, is due in court on Thursday after being charged with murder.
It’s after 20-year-old Steven Narvaez-Jara was stabbed at a party in Islington, London in the early hours of New Year’s Day 2018.
Steven was London’s first stabbing victim last year.
Police confirmed to Radio 1 Newsbeat the 19-year-old Unknown T has also been charged with violent disorder.
Two other men have been charged in relation to the case.
Police say they were called by the London Ambulance Service in the early hours of Monday, 1 January 2018 to a flat near Old Street Station.
The dead man – from Belvedere on the border of Kent and London – was found with stab injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene.
Another 20-year-old man who was found at the scene with stab injuries was taken to hospital and recovered.
All three men charged will appear at magistrates’ court on Thursday.
The drill rapper’s best-known track is Homerton B, which came out last year, and he’s recently teamed up with AJ Tracey for the single Leave Dat Trap.
Drake brought Unknown T onstage during his opening London show at the O2 on April 1.
He’s also scheduled to perform at BBC 1Xtra’s Ibiza 2019 event in August.
Britain’s Lois Toulson and Eden Cheng secured a place in the 2020 Fina Diving World Series by finishing sixth at the World Championships in South Korea.
The teenage pair, who won European 10m synchronised gold in their first major event together last year, totalled 289.14 for their five dives.
“We’re happy, but know we’ve the potential to do more,” Toulson, 19, told BBC Sport.
China took gold, with Malaysia second and the United States third.
As a result, all three claimed places in the women’s 10m synchro event for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, something Toulson and her 16-year-old London-based partner will now attempt to achieve at the World Cup early next year in Japan.
Toulson, who is based in Leeds, added: “We haven’t had any amazing scores yet, but we know it’s in the tank and I’m really excited about our potential.”
Earlier, Scottish Commonwealth bronze medallist James Heatly finished ninth in the men’s 1m final, which served as a warm-up for his main 3m competition, which begins on Wednesday.
“I was so happy to make the final, but I’m a bit frustrated as there was more to give,” he told BBC Sport.
In the women’s 10km marathon swimming event, Britain’s Alice Dearing and Danielle Huskisson finished 17th and 25th respectively.
Top-10 finishes would have secured places for Team GB in the event for Tokyo 2020, but there will be a second opportunity next year.
Monday’s action in South Korea will see three-time world champion Tom Daley and new diving partner Matty Lee compete in their 10m synchronised event, while Grace Reid and Kat Torrance will contest the 3m synchronised competition.